- Inspiration in Nature
- Household utensils
- Cultural influences
- Master of handicraft
- First prize bank note design – The Bank of Finland 1947
- Hundreds of private exhibitions 1951-2009
- The Lunning Prize, USA 1951
- Awarded 4 times in the Milan Triennale – 50s and 60s
- First prize at the World´s Fair in Brussels 1958
- Pro Finlandia Medal 1955
- Dr H.C. Royal College of Art, London 1971
TAPIO WIRKKALAEye, hand and thought Wirkkala was a highly versatile designer and artist. He designed products of glass, wood, porcelain, metal and plastics, created sculpture and worked in exhibition and graphic design. He designed glass objects for the Venini glassworks in Italy and porcelain and cutlery for the Rosenthal factory in Germany.
In Finland, Wirkkala designed glass for Iittala, the Ahlström Corporation, light bulbs for Airam and cutlery and silver objects for the Kultakeskus Company.